Blog Archive

Friday, November 16, 2012

My Find of the Day


When I was a little girl I lived in a doll house. Seriously, it was this pretty two story house with four bedrooms upstairs, an open middle hall and a formal living room, dining room and kitchen on the main floor. It was the same layout as a dollhouse and my Mom decorated it as such. She loved antiques and country art and teddy bears. We had a cream carpet in the living room and if you set FOOT on that carpet you had to get out a brush and brush out your footprints. It was bright and sunny and it will always be "home" for me.

In the hallway by the back door my Mom had hung the above embroidery set. She had made them herself, sometime around 1979. They read "Don't forget to comb your hair, Don't forget to wash your hands, Don't forget to brush your teeth, Don't forget to wear a smile". I read them every time I left the house and I find myself sing-songing the phrases at my kids when we get ready in the morning. I haven't seen them since Mom packed up the dollhouse and moved to a little cottage in the woods, about 10 years ago. I was thinking about them the other day and while my kids were eating breakfast i started playing around with searches. Took a little while but ....ta-dah! I found them :)

Aren't they cute?? And available on ebay. I immediately ordered a set and as soon as I can I will teach myself how to do crewel work (assure me this can't be too hard???!!!) and then i will hang them by our front door.  A little set of "friendly reminders" to help us get ready to face the world.


No comments: