Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Scarves for G and B

Here are the two scarves I made for G and B, two fantastic girls who live on my street. G goes to school with N and currently holds status as his best friend. My husband thinks she's awesome and may be my ticket to trying for a girl ;)

Their Mom (also fantastic) does not knit but picked up this yarn for a bargain and when she heard I was a knitter, asked if I'd be interested in making scarves for the girls. Free, pink, yarn. Sold!

The cable scarf is a mix between the Irish Hiking Scarf and the skinny Irish Hiking Scarf. I guess mine would be a Middle Irish Hiking Scarf :) The only reason I went with only two chains is the scarf is meant for a girl age 3-5 and one seemed too thin and one seemed too fat. The sample I tried on my 5 year old boy (this went over well) was just right!

The lace scarf I kind of made up myself. I knew what I wanted and tried many different possibilities but nothing was looking right with this yarn. Then I was flipping through my copy of How to Knit by Debbie Bliss, looking at the chapter on lace knitting. I love my Debbie Bliss books so I pulled out my copy of Home and struck gold. The picture of the Seaside Throw had exactly what I was looking for so I started playing around with the Panel C pattern. I didn't like the bobble (I have stitches in my hand right now so it was too painful to make!) so I left it out. What you see about is my end result. Nothing fancy but I'm totally thrilled with it...if I do say so myself :)

The basic details:

Seaside Lace Scarf
Cast on 23 stitches
Seed stitch (K1, P1) four rows
1st row of pattern: Seed stitch 6 stitches, K5, yo, skp, K4, seed stitch 6 stitches
2nd row (wrong side) seed stitch 6 stitches, Purl 11 stitches, seed stitch 6 stitches
3rd row: seed stitch 6 stitches, K3, K2tog, yo, K1, yo, skp, K3, seed stitch 6 stitches
4th row: seed stitch 6 stitches, Purl 11 stitches, seed stitch 6 stitches
5th row: seed stitch 6 stitches, K2, K2tog, yo, K3, yo, skp, K2, seed stitch 6 stitches
6th row: seed stitch 6 stitches, Purl 11 stitches, seed stitch 6 stitches
7th row: seed stitch 6 stitches, K1, K2tog, yo, K5, yo, skp, K1
8th row: seed stitch 6 stitches, Purl 11 stitches, seed stitch 6 stitches
9th row: seed stitch 6 stitches, Knit 11 stitches, seed stitch 6 stitches
10th row: seed stitch 6 stitches, Purl 11 stitches, seed stitch 6 stitches

repeat this pattern until scarf is long enough, then seed stitch final four rows and cast off in pattern.

Yarn used was Patons Pure, 100% Organic Cotton (discontinued)
Hand Wash, Machine Dry
Size 41/2 addi turbo needles 

No comments: