Blog Archive

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Strawberry Jam








NOTHING says summer like Grandma making Strawberry Jam at the cottage. I woke up from a nap last Saturday (another blissful treat of summer-time!) and found Grandma in the kitchen making jam. This is a time-honoured tradition for Canada Day weekend. She always picks or buys basket after basket of berries from a favourite farm on her way north, car packed with bags of sugar, pectin and a huge box of jars she's saved. I don't think any of us have ever eaten store bought jam. There has never been any need. She cannot seem to make less and as the family has grown, so has the number of jars she makes. No one could make smoother more perfect jam. There are no lumps or big chunks of berries. Its all smooth and sweet and delicious. And trust me, I did more than take pictures. I was immediately put to work mashing and stirring. She is a tiny little drill sergeant. But the jam is perfect and I would never refuse! Despite the fact that I am a grown-up and have even made jam myself a time or two, I was NOT allowed to fill the jars! For some reason, it's always Grandpa's job to fill them and while he grumbles and puts on a show of complaining. He comes over and does his duty.
And, because we were such good little helpers. She made us some Chelsea bread toast and let us be her taste-testers :) 
YUM. Got to love summer!

1 comment:

Knit and Purl Mama said...

That sounds absolutely wonderfully delicious! Lucky you guys!