Blog Archive

Monday, March 31, 2014

Hexagons

So the minute I decided to take a break from quilting, a "new" method fell into my lap... and I thought I might try my hand at hand sewing hexagons.  I pinned every pin I could find on the subject. Watched many many videos on YouTube. Found this great adhesive card stock that I knew would work perfectly and set to work cutting out hexagons.

In the end I sewed...two. Yup, that's it.
A week of obsession followed by about ten minutes of sewing. When I started there were visions of making a beautiful hexagon quilt out of all the purple fat quarters and ends I've been collecting forever. The thought of a hand-stitched quilt on my bed sounded so proper and romantic. I've been watching the Anne trilogy lately :)
In the end though, it was the waste that did me in. I don't like waste. I knit toe-up socks so I don't waste an inch of yarn. I like jelly-roll quilts because you can use almost every bit of fabric. While I'm sure there would be less waste as I went on, the amount that was ending up as scraps was torture for me! So I'm putting the hexagons away. I still like the idea of a hand-sewn quilt, just one that is a little more frugal with the fabric!

1 comment:

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Do you think you'll ever go back to these?