Blog Archive

Monday, February 11, 2013

Out of Eggs....?!



Was baking cookies with the boys this afternoon - oatmeal cookies with a Hersey's Kiss thumbprint. N diligently unwrapped and pressed each Kiss into a cookie and then sat back for five minutes to admire his work. A demanded I open the Kiss, he would snatch it back, squish it for all it was worth into the cookie, yell "Yummy!!!" and then take the Kiss back and then eat it. I will be very careful who we share these ones with.

 As I was getting the ingredients measured and prepped before my "helpers" came into the kitchen I realized we were completely out of eggs (A helped make breakfast the other day...). I had no interest in packing up both kids and hauling them to any sort of store at that point so I turned to google to see what can be used to replace eggs. Fascinating! This article was particularly cute and helpful. Applesauce, bananas, vegetable oil and flax seeds would all work. Or, two tablespoons water, one teaspoon oil (like corn or vegetable oil) and two teaspoons baking powder in place of one egg. With the exception of flax seeds I had ALL of these options. I went with applesauce because I thought the flavour would work well. In the end you totally couldn't tell, the cookies were nice and chewy and they had that little bit of fruit in them that makes me feel just a little virtuous. So, happy all around :)

1 comment:

Jo-Ann said...

Wish I had read this three days ago when this very thing happened to me . . . I hope remember for the next time, thanks for sharing.