Blog Archive

Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Pumpkins are Doomed!

These were just a few of our Halloween Pumpkins this year. We had six more big ones that lined our front steps. Everywhere we went we seemed to come home with pumpkins. Little A was thrilled. He played with them like they were toys. He lined them  up and talked to them and was really quite adorable. He called them "his friends". 

I don't really have the heart to tell him what happens to the pumpkins next. 

I was playing around with recipes a few weeks ago and made some updates to my and Jo's banana bread recipe. Then I had the genius plan of trying it with pumpkin. Seriously. I think I may be brilliant. Well, I say maybe as I'm the only one in my house who likes it, but I think my Pumpkin-Walnut-Oatmeal bread came out wonderfully. Mr. Ed can wait for his freakin pie!

Add to that the fact that I tried and loved Gordon Ramsay's Pumpkin and Mushrooms Soup and I am telling you.. the pumpkins are DOOMED! 

Pumpkin-Walnut-Oatmeal Bread
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup pureed pumpkin
1/2 cup applesauce (took out some of the sugar)
1 cup flour (whole wheat or all-purpose)
1 cup oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
recipe calls for 1/2 tsp salt, I left it out and didn't notice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice or pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup soured milk

Cream butter and sugar, then add egg, applesauce and pumpkin, add all dry ingredients and mix batter until smooth
Bake in loaf pan @ 350'F for 1 hour

If you're feeling terribly indulgent this works well in a bundt pan with a cream cheese frosting. 
Also works well in mini loaf pans. Or does in theory. I made one batch and now I can't find mine to save my life....might have put them in recycling?....was in a real tidy-up sort of mood this weekend. 

Still, bread is delicious! Enjoy :) 
 


1 comment:

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Those "mr. potato" head style pumpkin pieces are awesome. We have some too!